The Calhoun County Apportionment Commission held their 2021 Organizational Meeting on June 23, 2011.
The Commission convenes every ten years to re-apportion County Commission Districts within the following guidelines:
- All districts shall be single-member districts and as nearly of equal population as is practicable.
- All districts shall be contiguous.
- All districts shall be as compact and of as nearly square shape as is practicable, depending on the geography of the county area involved.
- No township or part thereof shall be combined with any city or part thereof for a single district unless such combination is needed to meet the population standard.
- Townships, villages, and cities shall be divided only if necessary, to meet the population standard.
- Precincts shall be divided only if necessary, to meet the population standard.
- Residents of state institutions who cannot by law register in the county as electors shall be excluded from any consideration of representation.
- Districts shall not be drawn to effect partisan political advantage.
The number of county commissioners is based on county population. Calhoun County’s 2020 population requires not more than 21 County Commissioners, nor less than 5.
The Commission is comprised of the Calhoun County Clerk, Calhoun County Prosecutor, Calhoun County Treasurer, the Calhoun County Republican Party Chairperson, and the Calhoun County Democrat Party Chairperson. At their Organizational meeting June 23, 2021, the Commission elected County Clerk Kimberly Hinkley as Chairperson.
The schedule of meetings is as follows:
- Monday, August 30, 2021, 9:00am
- Monday, September 20, 2021, 9:00am
- Monday, October 4, 2021, 9:00am
These meetings are subject to change; additional meetings may be necessary for further discussion and Apportionment Plan Adoption
All meetings will be held at the Calhoun County Board of Commissioners Chambers, 3rd Level, Room 3-C08, at 315 W. Green Street, Marshall, Michigan, are open to the public to attend, and there will be an opportunity for Public Comment.
The Apportionment Commission meetings will be conducted in compliance with all COVID-19 epidemic orders issued by the MDHHS and the emergency rules for COVID-19 workplace safety issued by MIOSHA and, in place at the time of each meeting.
Visit: www.calhouncountymi.gov/elections for additional Apportionment information.
CALHOUN COUNTY APPORTIONMENT COMMISSION ORGANIZATIONAL MEETING
The 2021 Calhoun County Apportionment Commission will hold an Organizational Meeting on Wednesday, June 23, 2021 at 9:00 a.m. in the Board of Commissioners Chambers, 3rd Floor, Calhoun County Building, 315 West Green Street, Marshall, Michigan 49068.
Additional information of this meeting of the Calhoun County Apportionment Commission may be obtained by calling the Calhoun County Clerk’s office at 269.781.0707.
The Apportionment Commission meeting is open to the public and there will be an opportunity for Public Comment.
The Apportionment Commission meeting will be conducted in compliance with all COVID-19 epidemic orders issued by the MDHHS and the emergency rules for COVID-19 workplace safety issued by MIOSHA and, in place on June 23, 2021.
Kimberly A. Hinkley
Calhoun County Clerk & Register of Deeds