Click for more info:
Estates under $27,000
Estates over $27,000
When assets are under $27,000
Small Estate Packet (PDF)
When assets are over $27,000, or the appointment of a personal representative is needed:
Estates are filed in the county of residence/domicile of the decedent, as stated on the death certificate.
- Person nominated in will, if any
- Surviving spouse, if a devisee under the will
- Other devisees
- Surviving spouse
- Other heirs
- After 42 days after the decedent’s death, the nominee of a creditor
- State or county public administrator
- A person with priority under 2-5 above may nominate a qualified person to serve as personal representative, and that nominee has the priority of the nominator
If the person filing the paperwork has priority for appointment, or if all persons with equal priority are in agreement about who should serve as personal representative, informal appointment (by the Probate Register without a hearing) may be requested.
Informal Estate Packet (PDF)
If you do not have the original will but only a copy, if any heirs are disinherited in a will by specific statement or by omission, if parties have equal priority but may not agree about who should serve as personal representative, formal appointment (by the Judge after a hearing) may be requested.
Formal Estate Packet (PDF)
If an estate file needs to be reopened because additional assets have been discovered or for some other reason, you may file to reopen an estate.