Planning and economic development at the county level has the ability to identify and address issues that are regional in nature such as public utilities, transportation services, natural resource management, and commercial and/or industrial developments that serve a regional geography. Planning for these issues together can eliminate duplication of efforts, encourage communication among municipalities, and create opportunities for more efficient use of resources.
The county planning function is accomplished through county staff as well as the County Planning Commission, an eleven-member board appointed by the County Board of Commissioners.
The principal duties and responsibilities of the Calhoun County Planning Commission include (but are not limited to) the following:
- To make studies, investigations, and surveys relative to economic, social, and physical development of the county
- To formulate plans and recommendations for the most effective economic, social, and physical development of the county
- To consult with adjacent counties to avoid conflicts in over-all plans
- To serve as a repository of local plans and zoning ordinances
- To review township zoning ordinances, master plans and all amendments to such policy
- To review proposed Farmland and Open Space Enrollments pursuant to PA 116 of 1974
- To prepare a guide for long-range development of general physical plans regarding the pattern and intensity of land use, the provision of public facilities, and long-range fiscal plans for such development
- To engage in intergovernmental coordination of all related planning activities among the state and local governmental agencies concerned
County planning staff are actively engaged in assisting local officials with changes in land use policy. From ordinance language related to renewable energy to urban livestock regulations; each community is unique making each review of proposed policies unique. In addition, staff are poised to function as a liaison between local municipalities and other planning agencies, like the Southcentral Michigan Planning Council or the Michigan Association of Planning, to bring the most current information to our community.
All Calhoun County Planning Commission meetings are held at 4 pm on the fourth Monday of each month (except for December). Meetings are held in the Garden Level Conference Room in the Calhoun County Building located at 315 West Green Street, Marshall, MI 49068, or via Zoom. Check the county calendar to see where the meeting will be held.
Planning Commission Members:
January 24, 2022
February 28, 2022
March 28, 2022 - Canceled
April 25, 2022 - Canceled
May 23, 2022
June 27, 2022
July 25, 2022 - Canceled
August 22, 2022 - Canceled
September 26, 2022
October 24, 2022
November 28, 2022
No December Meeting