The 37th Judicial Circuit Court Clerk's Office serves Calhoun County and accepts filings for:
- criminal matters in which the potential sentence is incarceration of one year or more
- domestic relations matters
- juvenile matters pertaining to delinquency or criminal activity
- child protective proceedings
- name changes
- general civil actions involving claims of $25,000.00 or more
- county-wide appeals from District Court, administrative agencies of state government and local government boards
- Divorce with children: $175.00 filing fee plus $80.00 judgment fee
- Divorce without children: $175.00 filing fee plus $80.00 judgement fee if spousal support granted
- Family Court filings: $175.00 filing fee plus $80.00 judgment fee
- Civil cases: $175.00 filing fee
- Jury demand fee: $85.00
- Motion fee: $20.00 (plus $80.00 judgment fee if motion is for post judgment relief for custody and/or parenting time; $40.00 judgment fee if motion is for post judgment relief for child support in family court cases)
- For a complete listing of Circuit Court filing fees see courts.mi.gov and search Circuit Court Fee and Assessments Table or look under Fee Schedule .
A "Pro Per" litigant is a person who represents himself/herself rather than hiring an attorney. A person acting on his or her own behalf is, under the law, held to the same standards and duties as an attorney admitted to the practice of law in the State of Michigan. Such person is expected to know what the law requires and how to accomplish his or her purposes in accordance with the applicable statutes and court rules.
Circuit Court Clerks are not lawyers. Do not ask them to provide legal advice. Consult the Michigan Court Rules and Michigan laws rather than asking advice from the Circuit Court Clerks. Circuit Court Clerks ONLY verify that the appropriate and completed documents are being filed in the Circuit Court Clerks office.
If you need advice, please contact an attorney. If you do not have a lawyer and do not know a specific lawyer to contact, you can be referred to a lawyer through the State Bar of Michigan: You may call 1-800-968-0738 or visit michbar.org.
You may also go to Michigan Legal Help. This website was created as a result of a statewide collaboration of judges, courts, lawyers, bar associations and other agencies to assist pro per litigants in representing themselves in many areas of the law. There are brochures located in the Circuit Court Clerkï¿½’s office that you may feel free to stop in and pick up free of charge to assist you in your search for legal help. You can find more information under Michigan Courts Self-Help Center on this website.
In-Person Civil/Criminal Search Requests:
In-Person Civil/Criminal search requests include felony records in Calhoun County Only for public viewing. This is NOT a criminal history/background check. Criminal history record searches MUST be obtained from the Michigan State Police
Michigan State Police
Central Records Division - Identification Section
P.O. Box 30634
Lansing, MI 48909
The age of the case will depend on where the file is currently located. Please call the Circuit Court Clerk's office at 269-969-6518 for location of the files.